Monday, October 13, 2008

Axe "Chocolate Man"



I was watching TV and noticed that the Axe "Chocolate Man" commercial is on constantly. The product being advertised, AXE Dark Temptation, "One quick spray of AXE Dark Temptation and women around you will not be able to resist you."
I never thought about it, but when I did, I realized how confused I am by the commercial. Are men going to smell like chocolate? And if so, what type of scent is that?
I know I'm not the target audience (obviously it's being targeted to a male audience), but if this scent is supposed to attract me, and other women, shouldn't I like this commercial or at least understand it? The message that AXE normally gave was that using their products would give off a sexy, attractive scent that women would adore, therefore, men would love to use it! When I would smell the other AXE products, they weren't bad at all.
Now, it just seems rather disgusting to see a chocolate-related scent being used to advertise this product. When I think chocolate I think about something great to eat, not something I want to smell. Chocolate is something boys should give to girls, not smell like. So what is Axe exactly trying to do???
I realized I should try to think outside the box and try to think like the target audience, but it's really hard to imagine walking by a guy who smells like chocolate.

No comments: