Thursday, October 2, 2008

You are what you google


It had been a while since we were first asked to Google our names and observe the results that were found. I remember sitting in class and typing in my name into Google. I saw my results and found an 18 year with my same name. I didn't think much of it. In fact, I just laughed about it and forgot. Weeks went by before I thought about it again.
However, after today's lecture in class, that changed. Our professor starting explaining that many employers look at personal accounts when hiring new employees. I'm not saying I have misleading information on my personal accounts, but this young lady, who has my same name could perhaps be mistaken for me.
I run the risk of being confused for someone else. Someone else who is completely different. Perhaps I jumping to conclusions. The only thing that distinguishes us from each other is our age, (at least from just looking at the page) employers could easily overlook something like that. Not to mention this young lady is the #1 result. She appears before I do. CRAZY!
So Myspacers, Facebookers, Flicksters, BEWARE! You never know who's watching. Future employers may have already gazed at your account.
So as our guest lecturer, Camella Manges, Director of E-Marketing at St. Edward's University said in class, "Don't have anything that you would not be comfortable having your mother see about you on your page. Be wise about what's on the internet about you."

3 comments:

Shannon N. said...

I guess it is a little bit funny... but you do have to be a little worried in a year or two when you start looking for a professional job.

The part of the class discussion that got me was that universities are admitting to using Facebook in the admissions process. Not fair! I had nothing to worry about because I didn't even know about the website until my freshman year here, but I have so many friends who had crazy stuff on their Facebook at the time they were looking into where they were going to college.

I liked Camella's advice to create a professional and personal blog. My friend recently moved to Dallas and is in charge of a new branch of a company. He recently created a second Facebook page. At first I thought it was strange but then I realized the importance of keeping the two identities separate. Come graduation I'm thinking about doing the same...

a.paz said...

Denise, unfortunately (that I know of), I don't feel your pain, but, I see how that could be a disturbing find! I think that unfortunately, as advanced as we think we are sometimes, we lack a few glitches in our online savyness that sometimes could cause some trouble. Words of advice, start piling up on her Google! Haha!

bradleyf said...

I actually googled myself the other day and a bunch of buisness men appeared. This is probably because I have a guy's name though. I guess that is one good thing about having a boy's name! (there will not be any girls that can destroy my reputation on the web). Hopefully in the future there will be some way for people to monitor that type of thing.